This was a UNDP funding support to the Department of the Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to “localize” City Agenda 21, with technical support from UN-HABITAT’s Global Sustainable Cities Programme (SCP).
A Project Team was established in DENR to customize the SCP/EPM approach and management tools, building on tools previously developed in support of the National Council for Sustainable Development. Customised process and tools were applied through three pilot cities of Lipa, Tagbilaran and Cagayan de Oro , with each Local Government Unit establishing a City-Environment and Natural Resource Office (City-ENRO), supported by DENR’s network of Community/Provincial and Regional-ENROs. Experiences were documented and management tools were further refined for up-scaling and replication nationally, with a National Support Programme drafted for further UNDP funding support. Unfortunately such funding was not possible, so national replication was integrated with City Development Strategy (CDS) proposal to the Cities Alliance. Completed in 2001.
Results on the ground:
- Replication of the Integrated Solid Waste Management Project to other barangays in Cagayan de Oro City
- Upscaling of knowledge on L-EPM through integration in academic programs
- Documentation of the L-EPM experience of Cagayan de Oro City and the three barangays (by DILG)
- Replication of the CDO L-EPM experience in Lipa City and Tagbilaran City
- Documentation of the Lipa City experience (by AIM)
- Documentation of the Tagbilaran City experience (by SURP)
- Development of training modules and replication modules on L-EPM