Position Title : City Coordinator
Project Reference : Building Climate Resiliency through Urban Plans & Designs
Duty Station : Cagayan de Oro City
Duration : December 2019 – June 2020
Deadline of Application : 1 November 2019
City Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities:
The Local Coordinator is expected to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure that the project plans, activities and target outputs are well communicated to the City Technical Working Group and other project other project partners in the city;
- Coordinate and extend assistance to the city government to facilitate project activities such as data gathering and validation, meetings, planning workshops, technical charrettes, consultations and trainings;
- Provide communications and coordination work to the project consultants and Manila-based project personnel;
- Make sure that the City Technical Working Group is functioning based on the agreed purpose and planned activities;
- Extend technical assistance particularly in the preparation and documentation of city adaptation strategy, urban design city guidelines and preparation of climate resilient urban plan and design and adaptation projects;
- Provide coordination work and support in the conduct of project site hydro/water assessment and climate finance mentoring activities;
- Document the highlights and agreements made during project meetings, planning-workshops, learning events and trainings;
- Coordinate with concerned government agencies and other institutions at the city level and Provincial/Regional level to promote the project and support the overall implementation of the project;
- Participate in the mission activities of the project;
- Prepare and submit monthly journal;
- Directly report to the National Project Coordinator; and
- Perform other city level tasks that may be required by the project.
Outputs and supporting documents to be submitted by the City Coordinator :
1. Monthly journal
2 . Monthly attendance Form (UN-Habitat Form)
3. Activity reports: workshop, training, planning, meetings, missions, etc.
Qualifications and Experience:
The consultant shall have:
- At least 5 years work experience on project
administration and coordination work
- Should be a university graduate with subject course related to social sciences, engineering or architecture. Post-graduate degree is an advantage but not a requirement.
- With knowledge on project development and monitoring
- Familiarity and knowledge on local land use and development planning processes/system
- With basic knowledge on understanding spatial plans, urban/city plans
- With demonstrated knowledge on climate change issues from national to local level
- Good knowledge on national urban development issues, policies and programs
- With good coordination, training, facilitating and writing skills
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Good communication skills, interpersonal management, team worker and proficient in written and spoken English.
Reporting Arrangements and Coordination:
The city coordinator will report to the National Project Coordinator on a regular basis.
Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviours. Acts without consideration of personal gain. Resists undue political pressure in decision-making. Does not abuse power or authority. Stands by decisions that are in the Organization’s interest, even if they are unpopular. Takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations.
Respect for Diversity
Works effectively with people from all backgrounds. Treats all people with dignity and respect. Treats men and women equally. Shows respect for and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates this understanding in daily work and decision-making. Examines own biases and behaviours to avoid stereotypical responses. Does not discriminate against any individual or group.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed. Works closely with the city partners to uphold and promote the ASUD principles.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their cover letter together with the signed and completed UN Personal History Form (P.11) and Curriculum vitae to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org by 01 November 2019. Kindly indicate on subject line “City Coordinator – Cagayan De Oro.”
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
By applying to this post, you agree to UN-Habitat’s due diligence in securing highest standards of efficiency, competency and integrity from all its staff members. Candidates will not be considered for employment with United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the candidates have been involved in the commission of these acts.
UN-Habitat has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UN-Habitat also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.