Work From Home
National BCRUPD Project
CONTRACT TYPE & DURATION :
UN-Habitat plans to support the project and/or its partners by providing publication layout and design services.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The layout artist directly reports to the Habitat Programme Manager of UN-Habitat Philippines and/or any authorized staff of UN-Habitat and will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Following the UN-Habitat Brand Manual where and when applicable, and other guidelines and references provided by UN-Habitat, develop three (3) design pitch decks or design concepts, no more than 5 pages each (A4 size), as overall design options from which one will be selected for the prospective publication layout of Manuscript.
- Using the selected design deck, and following the UN-Habitat Brand Manual where and when applicable, produce a print-ready layout version of the Manuscript.
- The following guidelines must be adhered to in the development of the layout file:
- All photos must be print-quality high-resolution images
- Photos for purchase must be under appropriate creative commons or copyright licenses and subject to the approval of UN-Habitat
- All images and graphic files must be processed for quality if needed and in both CMYK and RGB formats
- Tables, figures, diagrams, and other visualizations of technical data must be editable; if they are not editable on the manuscript (e.g., screenshots, flattened image files), they must be recreated or transposed into editable files by the layout artist.
- Paragraph styles and character styles must be used and assigned for various hierarchies of text (e.g., bodycopy, bullet level 1, bullet level 2, etc.)
- Master pages must be set for the different sections of the design brief
OUTPUTS EXPECTED AND TARGET SUBMISSION DATES:
Following the performance of the tasks outlined in the Scope of Work above, the short-term consultant is expected to deliver the following outputs:
- Design pitch deck or concepts from which one will be selected for the prospective layout template.
Deadline: Date is to be agreed upon
- First draft of layout as PDF.
Deadline: Date is to be agreed upon
- Second draft of layout reflecting any actionable feedback and/or revisions from UN-Habitat as packaged InDesign file.
Deadline: Date is to be agreed upon.
- Finalized layout file reflecting any actionable feedback and/or revisions from UN-Habitat on the second draft packaged InDesign file.
Deadline: Date is to be agreed upon.
Upon completion and acceptance of the required outputs.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- University Degree in Graphic Design, Multimedia, Visual Arts, Visual Communications, Arts or related field;
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant professional working experience with in the fields of graphic design, multimedia, visual arts, communications and outreach;
- With Previous experiences designing highly visible products (evidenced by a substantial design portfolio) and a Proven ability to work with the latest designing software (such as: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Illustrator); and to transpose layout content and/or design into more elementary software such as Microsoft Word, Pages, PowerPoint.
- Displays a clear and mature style of design, demonstrating an understanding of the communication requirements of a UN agency; With Demonstrable experience in preparing print-ready publication files as well as proven experience in liaising with printing companies; ability in visual communications such as the transposition of technical content into infographics, icon creation, and related tasks would be an asset.
- Proven ability to work flexibly and creatively, both independently and as part of a team
Professionalism: Ability to identify issues, analyse and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Team Work: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Submission of Applications
Application letters should include:
1. Cover memo (maximum 1 page) including expectations regarding remunerations;
2. A completed UN Personal History Form (P-11) – Please download the form (MS-Word) from UN- Habitat ROAP web site: http://www.fukuoka.unhabitat.org/vacancy/index_en.html;
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their cover letter together with the signed and completed UN Personal History Form (P.11) and Curriculum vitae to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 September 2019. Kindly indicate on subject line “Layout/Design Artist – ROSTER”.
Please note that applications received after the closing date stated above will not be given consideration. Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted. The salary will be determined according to the qualifications, skills and relevant experience of the selected candidate. Details and conditions of the contract will be communicated at the interview.
Please click on this link to read complete Terms of Reference (TOR).
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
By applying to this post, you agree to UN-Habitat’s due diligence in securing highest standards of efficiency, competency and integrity from all its staff members. Candidates will not be considered for employment with United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the candidates have been involved in the commission of these acts.
UN-Habitat has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UN-Habitat also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.