Terms of Reference for Short-Term Expert (STE)
Position Title : Digital Content and Knowledge Management Associate
Project Reference : Building Climate Resiliency through Urban Plans & Designs (BCRUPD) Project
Duty Station : Home-based
Duration : December 2018 to 30 March 2019
Posting Date : 12 November 2018
Deadline of Applications : 23 November 2018
The project aims to support the Philippine government by providing technical assistance in improving policies, regulations, and capacities to adapt to climate change through the promotion of climate-responsive sustainable urban development plans and designs. In support of the National Climate Change Action Plan (NCCAP) and the National Framework Strategy on Climate Change (NFSCC), it will enhance national and subnational government representatives’ institutional capacities on climate adaptation in urban areas considering sustainable urbanization principles and practices as well as the growth prospects of urban areas in the country. The project will supplement existing urban planning guidelines and develop knowledge through policy inputs, capacity development interventions, and project finance linking. Demonstration of innovative urban planning and design approaches in five cities with different ecosystems will showcase contextualized processes and schemes on building urban resilience considering balanced economic and ecological sustainability in the face of rapid urbanization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Digital Content and Knowledge Management Associate will be responsible for providing support to the overall knowledge management component of the project as well as to the implementation of the knowledge management system and communications strategy.
The Knowledge Management and Communications Associate directly reports to the National Project Coordinator, as well as to the Knowledge Management and Communications Officer, of the Project and any authorized staff of UN-Habitat Philippines.
His or her tasks will include but not be limited to the following:
- Draft reports from audio transcriptions in compliance with UN-Habitat Philippines’ reporting templates and guidelines
- Document expert group meetings, workshops, trainings, forums, consultations and other project activities
- Support the gathering and consolidation of data and knowledge materials from project partners and and other knowledge sources
- Support the conversion of raw data, information, and knowledge into narrative and content for a host of IEC materials and knowledge products like brochures, reports, social media, training platforms
- Help develop a workplan for social media and web content management
- Help produce original content for social media and web
- Support digital media management (curation and upload of images, web optimization of images, etc.)
- Organization of all project materials into prescribed folder structure and implementation of prescribed file naming protocol
- Support regular monitoring of partner updates to feed into the project knowledge management system
- Support the Knowledge Management and Communications Officer in relevant administrative and operational activities
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Development Communication, Social Marketing, Journalism, Media Relations or other related field. A first level university degree in combination with relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Have at least two (2) years of work experience in communications, publishing, journalism, or any related field
- Knowledge of development issues and directions, especially on urban development issues would be an asset
- Have a substantial background in knowledge management systems and implementation as well as design and documentation of learnings and other activities; Possess transferable skills in knowledge documentation, use, and regeneration
- Possess advanced and publishable writing skills both for different media and target audiences (i.e., press releases, blogs, news article, etc.), demonstrable familiarity with using and posting on social media channels (Facebook, Twitter), and a basic understanding in web content management systems
- Knowledge of basic graphic design, photography, or video production is an asset
- High proficiency in English (both oral and written) is required and strong technical and creative writing skills with a full command of English.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of GLTN’s vision, principles and approaches relevant to effectively carrying them out at country level. Ability to identify issues, analyse and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Team Work: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning and Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their cover letter together with the signed and completed UN Personal History Form (P.11) and Curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com by 23 November 2018. Kindly indicate on subject line “Application to Knowledge Management and Communications Associate – Manila.”
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
By applying to this post, you agree to UN-Habitat’s due diligence in securing highest standards of efficiency, competency and integrity from all its staff members. Candidates will not be considered for employment with United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the candidates have been involved in the commission of these acts.
UN-Habitat has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UN-Habitat also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.