Terms of Reference for Short-Term Expert (STE)
Position Title : Urban Design Project Development Expert, National Consultant
Project Reference : BCRUPD
Duty Station : Home-based
Duration : November 2018 to 30 March 2019
Posting Date : 19 October 2018
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Consultant will act as a national consultant and will have overall responsibility of ensuring that the urban design processes, activities and outputs of the five partner cities are consistent with UN-Habitat and BCRUPD Project targets and standards. The consultant shall also extract from the city experiences and distill these into policy inputs that should inform national government agencies’ efforts towards enhancing their policies and guidelines relating to urban resilience, urban planning and urban design. The key duties and responsibilities are the following:
- Act as the national consultant of BCRUPD project in the development of climate-resilient urban design projects (“urban adaptation projects”) covering the five demonstration cities namely Angeles, Legazpi, Ormoc, Cagayan de Oro and Tagum.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to the city level urban design consultants in the various stages of urban design project development in close coordination with the BCRUPD Internal Urban Planner consultant.
- Conduct and participate to city level missions such as meetings, training and workshops and technical charrettes.
- Work closely with the international urban planner and climate change consultant and other project team members to make sure that climate adaptation principles and parameters are integrated into the urban design project development activities.
- Consolidate and enhance the urban design projects of the five cities by adopting the outline and technical specifications of the project (see Item 4: Outputs and Timelines).
- Distill city experiences into policy inputs that should inform national government agencies’ efforts towards enhancing their policies and guidelines relating to urban resilience, urban planning and urban design.
- Attend and contribute to project team meetings
- Directly report to the National Project Coordinator and coordinate closely with the International Urban Planner consultant of the project.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- With ten (10) years working experience in developing urban design projects
- With experience in integrating climate change issues/parameters into project briefs and designs
- Advanced / Master’s Degree in architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning or related disciplines
- Proven technical skills in the following digital applications and programs: Adobe, AutoCAD, Sketch Up, Rhinoceros, ArcGIS, Z Brush
- Good communication skills and proficient in English, both verbal and written.
The Core Values of the United Nations are:
- Respect for diversity.
Planning & Organising:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
Managerial Competencies related to:
- Building trust to colleagues and project partners
- Judgement/Decision Making
- Empowering Others
- Managing Performance
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their cover letter together withthe signed and completed UN Personal History Form (P.11) and Curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com by 3 November 2018. Kindly indicate on subject line“Application to Urban Design Project Development Expert, National Consultant.”
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
By applying to this post, you agree to UN-Habitat’s due diligence in securing highest standards of efficiency, competency and integrity from all its staff members. Candidates will not be considered for employment with United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the candidates have been involved in the commission of these acts.
UN-Habitat has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UN-Habitat also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.