Position Title: Module Development Consultant for Learning Platforms Development
Project Reference: Building Climate Resiliency Through Urban Plans and Designs
Duty Station: Home-based, will be assigned in Manila
Duration: 1 September to 31 December 2018
Application Deadline: 1 October 2018
The project aims to support the Philippine government by providing technical assistance in improving policies, regulations, and capacities to adapt to climate change through the promotion of climate-responsive sustainable urban development plans and designs. In support of the National Climate Change Action Plan (NCCAP) and the National Framework Strategy on Climate Change (NFSCC), it will enhance national and subnational government representatives’ institutional capacities on climate adaptation in urban areas considering sustainable urbanization principles and practices as well as the growth prospects of urban areas in the country. The project will supplement existing urban planning guidelines and develop knowledge through policy inputs, capacity development interventions, and project finance linking. Demonstration of innovative urban planning and design approaches in five cities with different ecosystems will showcase contextualized processes and schemes on building urban resilience considering balanced economic and ecological sustainability in the face of rapid urbanization.
The Module Development Consultant will be responsible for working with UN-Habitat’s technical experts and content providers to facilitate end-user-ready training modules in climate-resilient urban planning and design, specifically for electronic learning platforms, for the Building Climate Resiliency Through Urban Plans & Designs Project.
The consultant directly reports to the National Project Coordinator and any authorized staff of UN-Habitat Philippines.
His or her tasks will include but not be limited to the following:
- Review content of each of the three modules on climate-resilient urban plans and designs and create a module design that includes how content in each module should be segmented or structured in a learning management system or MOOC platform, the format or medium (video, reading material, magazine type, table, interactive, presentation, etc.) for each segment, and transition or flow of one segment to the next.
- Identify and recommend prospective online learning platforms to contain the modules, with a breakdown of pros and cons for each one.
- Work with UN-Habitat staff in providing technical writing support to make any highly-technical content more audience-appropriate
- Work with UN-Habitat staff to determine methodology of assessing uptake of trainees, and format of these assessments (exams, quizzes, performance tasks, etc.)
- Attendance of trainings and capacity development activities of the project
- Pilot some of the modules to test ease and efficacy of conduct
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Development Communication, Learning Science, Information Technology, Social Sciences, Education, or other related field plus two years of relevant work experience. A first level university degree in combination with an additional five years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Exhibit key working knowledge of module development and pedagogical methods and trends, especially for digital or online platforms; knowledge of development issues, especially urban development issues, an asset; experience in international development an asset
- Demonstrable expertise in applying best training and pedagogical approaches for module development in the professional context – applicants are requested to submit a sample of a relevant past course or module they developed — 50%
- Demonstrable experience developing modules for online learning management systems, MOOC, or other online learning platforms — 30%
- Demonstrable experience in recasting highly technical content for into more layman-friendly or audience-appropriate text – applicants are requested to submit a sample of a relevant past course or module they developed — 15%
- Prior experience of working for or with Philippine national government agencies or for or with development organizations 5%